Exchange students

Each year several exchange students come from our partner universities to spend their term in Italy at our School. Studying at MIP, for a short or a long exchange, offers a valuable and rewarding experience. You will have the chance to immerse into our vibrant culture and an international environment. We value all exchange students for their contribution to the diversity of our classes, bringing valuable insights on their cultures, contributing to expand the personal and professional network students build during their experience at MIP. Come onboard and take part in our Exchange Programs: we are happy to welcome you in Milan!


The Program Office

The Program Office, in liaison with your home Institution, is your main point of contact as an Exchange Student. Please refer to them for your calendar and academic contents.


The International Students Office

The ISO helps you with several non-academic matters related to your stay. We can assist you with:

  • Migration formalities for your stay in Italy
  • Accommodation
  • Public transportation, banking, health cover in Italy, emergencies.


Exams in Italy are graded using a grading scale of 30, where 18 is the minimum passing grate, and 30 cum laude the highest grade.

  • Excellent: 27/30 to 30 cum laude
  • Good: 24/30 to 26/30
  • Satisfactory:  21/30 to 23/30
  • Barely passing: 18/30 to 20/30
  • Fail: 0 to 17/30


The European Credit Transfer System is used by Italian and European universities to evaluate and measure the workload and teaching hours as well as the higher education outcome of every single course. Credits also measure the workload required to pass examinations, which includes class attendance, group work, laboratory work and individual study.

One credit corresponds to a workload of about 25 hours, and the yearly workload for an average study course corresponds to about 60 credits.

Refer to your home Institution, to learn how many credits you will be awarded for your exchange with us, or of any other dispensation you may be entitled to.


Non-EU Students coming on a short stay of a maximum of 90 days may need a study visa for their time here in Milan.
If this is the case, you need to apply for a study visa, type C, by referring to the Italian Consulate or Embassy operating in the area where you reside prior to your arrival in Italy.

Other students will not require a visa and will be able to enter study in Italy without a visa for up to 90 days.

Please visit the Visa for Italy website, then contact the Italian consular authorities in the country where you reside to enquire as to what your individual visa requirements may be. The Italian Consulate will provide the list of documents needed for your visa application, where applicable.

Please be aware that if you would like to avoid the residence permit procedure, you will need to carefully plan your stay in order not to overstay the 90 days. Instead, if you intend to stay longer, please refer to the related section.

For any non-EU student staying in Italy for a period longer than 90 days from the point of entry in the Schengen area, a study visa and residence permit (called ‘permit of stay’ or in Italian permesso di soggiorno) will need to be obtained.

Please, visit the Visa for Italy website. The study visa must be arranged several weeks prior to your travel to Italy, through an Italian Consulate or Embassy in the country where you currently reside.

The Italian Consulate will indicate the list of documents needed for your visa application. You will obtain a study visa type D.

We will provide you with a letter attesting to your acceptance to the Exchange program for visa purpose. Please note: the letter will report the starting and end date of your Exchange. If your classes will only take place in a period of 90 days or less, it is uncertain whether the Consulate will grant you a visa exceeding 90 days or not.

If you have obtained a long study visa type D, read the ‘Residence Permit’ section.

Students who have obtained a D type visa will need to apply for a residence permit.

The permit of stay is completed once you are in Italy. The application must be submitted within 8 working days of your entry in Italy. We will invite you to attend an orientation session upon arrival and we will fill out together all necessary forms.

Contact us to book an appointment and to enquire about your specific situation.

Documents for your residence permit application:

  • A valid passport
  • Visa
  • The original Admission letter to your Exchange Program, stamped by the Italian Consulate at the time your visa is granted
  • Private health cover for the intended period of stay. The insurance must cover you in the entire Schengen area and for the whole period of your stay. The insurance policy document must be written in English
  • Cash for the permit of stay application: around 102 Euros
  • 2 passport photographs

Make sure you have all above listed documents with you as you arrive in Italy. For any doubt, please write to the ISO.


Having adequate health cover for your stay in Italy will be important, especially for students requiring a residence permit for Italy.

Students should:

  • Purchase health insurance from a reputable international or national provider. This health insurance should cover them for the entire duration of the intended stay in Milan
  • Provide proof of health insurance if necessary for visa purposes
  • Make sure their private insurance meets the criteria for the residence permit application (for stays of more than 90 days). This means it must cover them for the entire period of their visa or intended stay, must cover them in the entire Schengen Area, and the insurance policy must be written in English or Italian
  • Bring any relevant prescriptions or medical equipment/information relevant to their own medical needs. This is in the event of illness or injury and for peace of mind only. No such document will be requested by the School.
Purchasing private health cover from Italy

The company Welcome Association Italy offers an insurance cover for international students at a cost of Euro 71 for 6 months. This insurance, however, will only cover you for emergencies involving hospitalization. It meets the requirements for the residence permit application, for those students staying more than 90 days in Italy (holders of a study visa type D).

Emergency Telephone Numbers
  • Ambulance: 112
  • After hour on call doctor: 116 117


Short term students are given the option of booking accommodation through an MIP agreed accommodation provider. Contact the ISO for the list of available accommodation options.
Please visit our Accommodation Webpage for more information.


Milan is more expensive than smaller cities in Italy or Europe but less expensive than several big European cities.

Students should prepare themselves financially for their short exchange in Italy. Ideally, this should be an amount that is adequate to cover your living and accommodation expenses for the duration of your stay.

Current students have budgeted around Euro 900 to Euro 1.000 per month to stay in Milan.

Important information

Please be aware that in Italy there is a cash transaction limit of Euro 2.000. This means that any payment exceeding this amount, must be made by card or bank transfer. Foreign cheques are very difficult to change. Travellers cheques are hardly ever accepted anywhere.

For everyday payments, credit cards are widely accepted at many businesses and shops, with exception to government building and retailers, which generally only accept cash.

To help you budget for your exchange, please visit our Cost of Living section.


  • Enquire about visa requirements – Contact the Italian Consulate in the country where you currently reside. Write to us if you need supporting documents
  • Arrange accommodation
  • Arrange health insurance for your stay in Italy
  • Apply for your visa
  • Budget for your stay
Important documents you need to take with you
  •  A valid passport or European i.d.
  • Original admittance letter to your Exchange, stamped by the Italian Consulate at the time your visa was issued (if you were required to enter Italy on a long stay visa)
  • Private health insurance covering you in the entire Schengen area for the entire period of your stay. Non-EU students who enter Italy on a long stay visa must produce an insurance document written in English or Italian
  • European health card – European residents only
  • 3 passport photographs
  • Euro 102 cash for the application of the permit of stay (for non-EU students holding a long stay visa only)
  • Any medication and relevant medical documentation that you may require, for your safety only
Dress code

Smart casual for daily classes. Formal for business seminars and meetings with companies.


Milan has a very efficient and cost effective transport system, with the suburb of MIP well serviced by buses, trams and the urban rail network that connects the School with the rest of Milan and surrounding areas.

Transport Services Include:

  • Buses and trams – extensive coverage across all areas of the city
  • The Milan metro – four lines providing fast and direct travel
  • Urban and Regional Railway line – connecting  central Milan and towns and cities in the greater metropolitan area

MIP is on the urban railway line (blue line, also called passante ferroviario), just five minutes-walk from both BOVISA and VILLAPIZZONE stations.

Monthly Cards

While in Milan you can purchase a monthly travel card which allows unlimited travel throughout the city. The cost is 39 Euro for the month or 22 Euro if you are aged 26 or under. The issue of the card costs 10 Euro (to be paid once only).

For more information, please visit our Public Transport section.


The Politecnico di Milano Library Services comprise online resources and several libraries located in the different campuses. Exchange students can obtain access by requesting a temporary card. Visit the Politecnico Library Services site.

The canteen at our campus, mensa, is located at 34, Via La Masa, Building 24. If functions as a café, self-service restaurant and pizzeria. Outside lunch hours, it can be used as study area.
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4.30 pm.

Students sport activities at Politecnico di Milano are organized by Polimi Sport. View their activities at the Polimi Sport site.


During your stay, you will have time to enjoy the city and visit Italy. For Politecnico di Milano’s cultural events and leisure activities, visit Politamtam and Erasmus Students Network – Politecnico di Milano.


MIP is located in Bovisa, which is a suburb in the North of Milan. MIP is situated on the urban railway line – S line, also called blue line or passante ferroviario. Two stations are very close to our building: BOVISA and VILLAPIZZONE, both within 5 minutes walk from our School.

MIP’s full address is Via Lambruschini 4C, Building 26/A, 20156, Milano

Visit our page Where We Are to learn how to reach our Campus.

MIP Shareholders