This research project investigates the relationships between New Product Development (NPD) and Supply Chain Management (SCM) processes from two perspectives: the relationships existing between supply chain design decisions, product features and supply chain performance, and the managerial tools and techniques to perform collaborative design and development, involving clients and suppliers, designers and supply chain managers. Different industries have been investigated, ranging from electro-mechanical, to fashion and furniture.
Collaborative Product Development along the Supply Chain
About the project
KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This research project encompasses the study of the relationships between New Product Development (NPD) and Supply Chain Management (SCM) processes. These relationships have been studied from two different perspectives: (i) the study of the relationships existing between supply chain design decisions, product features and supply chain performance, and (ii) the study of the managerial tools and the techniques (including digital solutions) to perform collaborative design, involving clients and suppliers, as well as designers, engineers and supply chain managers. As for the first, the main research questions tackle the implications of product architecture and modularity, variety and innovativeness on supply chain design and management choices. As for the managerial tools, the main research questions tackle the determinants of the choices for globalization of SCM and NPD, along with the drivers for involving suppliers and making suppliers collaborate in NPD projects. Also the adoption of digital solutions for supporting SCM and NPD integration have been taken into account. For this purpose, different industries have been investigated, ranging from electro-mechanical, to fashion and furniture. The main research methodologies applied are case study and survey.
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
- Pero, M., Rossi, M., Terzi, S. (2018) Evolution of Global Product Development Networks: An Exploratory Study, IEEE Transaction in Engineering Management Vol. 65, No. 1,pp. 34-45 Article number 8030104, DOI: 10.1109/TEM.2017.2740263
- Abdelkafi, N., Pero, M. (2018) Supply Chain Innovation-Driven Business Models: Exploratory Analysis and Implications for Management. Business Process Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.589-608, https://doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-05-2016-0109
- Xu, J., Pero, M., Rossi, M., (2018) Triadic Supply Network Relationship in Supplier Involved New Product Development: Case study research in China and Italy, 20th International Working Seminar on Production Economics, February 19th-23rd, 2018, Innsbruck, Austria
- Bellini, E., Pero, M., Artusi, F., (2018) The Value Disciplines of Radical Innovators: Integrating Customer Intimacy, Operational Excellence, and Product Leadership Proceedings of R&D Management Conference 2nd-4th July 2018 Milano (Italy)
- Ciccullo, F., Pero, M., Caridi, M. (2017) Exploring the hidden potential of product design to mitigate supply chain risk. International Journal of Electronic Customer Relationship Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 66-93
- Caridi, M., Pero, M., Sianesi, A. (2017) Design Chain Visibility: How much information should you share with your partners during New Product Development projects? Benchmarking: an International Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5,, pp. 1337-1363 doi: 10.1108/BIJ-04-2016-0059
- Caniato, F., Crippa, L., Pero, M., Sianesi, A., Spina, G. (2015) Internationalisation and outsourcing of operations and product development in the fashion industry Production Planning and Control, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 706-722 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2014.971524)
- Rossi, M., & Terzi, S. (2017). CLIMB: maturity assessment model for design and engineering processes. International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, 10(1), 20-43.
- Pero, M., Stößlein, M., Cigolini, R. (2015) Linking product modularity to supply chain integration in the construction and shipbuilding industries, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 170, part B, pp. 602-615, DOI:10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.05.011
- Rossi, M., Kerga, E., Taisch, M., & Terzi, S. (2014). Engineering and design best practices in new product development: an empirical research. Procedia CIRP, 21, 455-460.
- Lamberti, L., Pero, M., (2013) The supply chain management – marketing interface in product development: an exploratory study, Business Process Management Journal, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.217 – 244
- Bandinelli, R., Rinaldi, R., Rossi, M., & Terzi, S. (2013). New product development in the fashion industry: An empirical investigation of Italian firms. International Journal of Engineering Business Management, 5(Godište 2013), 5-31.
- Caridi, M., Pero, M., Sianesi, A. (2012) Linking product modularity and innovativeness to supply chain management in the Italian furniture industry, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 136, No. 1, pp. 207–217
- Brun, A., Pero, M. (2012) Measuring variety reduction along the Supply Chain: the Variety Gap Model, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 139, No 2, pp. 510-524
- Rossi, M., Garetti, M., & Terzi, S. (2012). Management of new product development process: the explorative empirical research of the GeCo observatory. In XVII Summer school” Francesco Turco”: breaking down the barriers between research and industry… towards networking and team-building in achieving excellence, 12-14 September 2012, Venice (Italy). Università degli Studi di Padova.
- Pero, M., Abdelkafi, N., Sianesi, A., Blecker, T. (2010), A framework for the Alignment of New Product Development and Supply Chains, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 115-128
- Pero, M., Sianesi, A. (2009) Aligning Supply Chain Management and New Product Development: A Theoretical Framework, International Journal of Electronic Customer Relationship Management, Vol. 3 No. 3 pp. 301-317
- Report Osservatorio GeCo (https://www.osservatori.net/it_it/osservatori/gestione-progettazione-e-plm)
- TUHH (prof. Thorsten Blecker)
- Fraunhofer Center for International Management and Knowledge Economy IMW (Dr. Nizar Abdelkafi)
- JMAC Europe
- Università degli Studi di Bergamo
- Università degli Studi di Firenze
- Università Politecnica delle Marche
- Università degli Studi di Roma “Tor Vergata”
- Università del Salento
- Community Inf-Os
- Progetto LeanPPD
- Progetto Linked Design