The project aims at developing tools to assess innovation processes how much they are suited to address the strategic challenges a company is facing. It develops approaches and methodologies to co-design open and distributed innovation processes that allow to integrate and manage complex flows of ideas and knowledge across the boundaries of the company.
Designing Open and Distributed Innovation Processes
About the project
Principal Investigators: Vittorio Chiesa, Federico Frattini
Researcher team: Vittorio Chiesa, Federico Frattini, Simone Franzò, Josip Kotlar, Roberto Verganti, Daniel Trabucchi
Funders: ABB, Whirlpool
Partners: MBS Consulting
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
- Gary P. Pisano and Roberto Verganti, “Which Kind of Collaboration is Right for You? The new leaders in innovation will be those who figure out the best way to leverage a network of outsiders”, Harvard Business Review, Volume 86, Number 12, 78-86, December 2008.
- Danneels, E. and Frattini, F. “Finding Applications for Technologies Beyond the Core Business. MIT Sloan Management Review, 59(3), 2018.
- Sikimic, U., Chiesa, V., Frattini, F. and Scalera, V.G. “Investigating the influence of technology inflows on technology outflows in open innovation processes: a longitudinal analysis”. Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 652-669. 2016
- Bianchi, M., Croce, A., Dell’Era, C., Di Benedetto, A. and Frattini, F. “Organizing for inbound open innovation: how external consultants and a dedicated R&D unit influence product innovation performance”. Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 492-510, 2016.
- Bianchi, M., Frattini, F., Lejarraga, J. and Di Minin, A. “Technology exploitation paths: combining technological and complementary resources in new product development and licensing”, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 31, No. S1, pp. 146-169, 2014.
- Buganza, T., Chiaroni, D., Colombo, G. and Frattini, F. “Organisational Implications of Open Innovation: an Analysis of Inter-industry Patterns”, International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 423-455, 2011.
- Bianchi, M., Chiesa, V. and Frattini. F. “Selling technological knowledge: how firms can win the complexities of technology transactions”, Research Technology Management, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 18-26, 2011.