The ongoing project investigates how incumbents and startups leverage digital technologies and recombine them with their extant resources within an overarching Digital Strategy to: (i) design their new digital business models (BMs) – e.g. multisided platforms BMs, data-driven BMs, sharing economy BMs; (ii) validate the BMs through scientific and experimental methods – e.g. Lean Startup Approaches (LSAs); and (iii) innovate existing BMs in their value creation, delivery and capture elements.
Digitally-enabled business model design, validation and innovation
About the project
Principal Investigators: Raffaello Balocco, Antonio Ghezzi, Alessandro Perego, Andrea Rangone
Researcher team: Raffaello Balocco, Eliana Bentivegna, Angelo Cavallo, Filippo Frangi, Antonio Ghezzi, Alessandra Luksch, Cristina Marengon, Alessandro Perego, Andrea Rangone, Silvia Sanasi
Duration: ongoing (since 2010)
KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The “Digitally-enabled Business Model Design, Validation and Innovation” project investigates how incumbents and startups formulate and execute an overarching Digital Strategy that leverages emerging digital technologies – e.g. internet of things, big data, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, blockchain – and recombines them with their extant resources and competencies, in order to: (i) design their new digital business models (BMs) – e.g. multisided platforms BMs, data-driven BMs, sharing economy BMs; (ii) validate their BMs through scientific and experimental methods – e.g. Lean Startup Approaches (LSAs); and (ii) innovate existing BMs in their value creation, delivery and capture elements. The project puts forth these main research questions:
- What is the role of Digital Innovation, in the form of different digital technologies and trends, as an enabler (or barrier) for BM Design, Validation and Innovation?
- What are the multifaceted impacts of digital technologies on an incumbent’s or a startup’s value generation, delivery and capture mechanisms and complementarities?
- How can incumbents and startups adopt experimental and scientific methods – e.g. Lean Startup Approaches (LSAs) to validate their digital BM?
- What are the antecedents, moderators, mediators and outcomes of Digitally-enabled BM Design, Validation and Innovation?
- What is the relationship between a company’s Digitally-enabled Business Model and its overarching Digital Strategy?
- How are Digital Innovation, Digital Transformation and Digital Strategy (executed through a digital BM) conceptually and practically connected?
- How can incumbents and startups strategically cooperate to co-design and co-innovate digital BMs?
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
Main scientific publications:
- Ghezzi, A. (2018). Digital Startups and the adoption and implementation of Lean Startup Approaches: Effectuation, Bricolage and Opportunity Creation in practice. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.09.017
- Ghezzi, A., & Cavallo, A. (2018). Agile Business Model Innovation in Digital Entrepreneurship: Lean Startup Approaches. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.06.013
- Bortolini, R.F., Nogueira Cortimiglia, M., de Moura Ferreira Danilevicz, A., Ghezzi, A. (2018). Lean Startup: a comprehensive historical review. Management Decision . https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-07-2017-0663
- Ghezzi, A., Gabelloni, D., Martini, A., & Natalicchio, A. (2018). Crowdsourcing: a review and suggestions for future research. International Journal of Management Reviews, 20(2), 343-363
- Ayala, N. F., Paslauski, C. A., Ghezzi, A., & Frank, A. G. (2017). Knowledge sharing dynamics in service suppliers’ involvement for servitization of manufacturing companies. International Journal of Production Economics, 193, 538-553.
- Todeschini, B. V., Cortimiglia, M. N., Callegaro-de-Menezes, D., & Ghezzi, A. (2017). Innovative and sustainable business models in the fashion industry: Entrepreneurial drivers, opportunities, and challenges. Business Horizons, 60(6), pp. 759-770.
- Ghezzi, A. (2017). “Reinventing the wheel” as an emerging business model innovation paradigm. Strategic Direction, 33(5), 1-4.
- Ghezzi, A., Dramitinos, M. (2016). Towards a Future Internet Infrastructure: analyzing the multidimensional impacts of Assured Quality Internet Interconnection. Telematics and Informatics. Volume 33, Issue 2, 613-630.
- Ghezzi, A., Gastaldi, L., Lettieri E., Martini, A., Corso, M. (2016). A role for startups in unleashing the disruptive power of social media. International Journal of Information Management, Volume 36, Issue 6, Part A, 1152–1159, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2016.04.007.
- Ghezzi, A., Batocchio, A., Rangone (2016). A Method for Evaluating Business Models Implementation Process. Business Process Management Journal, Volume 22, Issue 4, 712 – 735 (Scopus Q1, ABS 2, CNRS 2, AiIG SILVER).
- Ghezzi, A., Cortimiglia, M., Frank, A. (2016). Business Model Innovation and strategy making nexus: evidences from a cross-industry mixed methods study. R&D Management, Volume 46, Issue 3, 414-432.
- Ghezzi, A., Balocco, R., Rangone, A. (2016). The Open Innovation – Strategy nexus: findings from the Mobile Telecommunications Industry. Management Research Review , Volume 39, Issue 5
- Ghezzi, A., Cortimiglia, M., Frank, A. (2015). Strategy and business model design in dynamic Telecommunications industries: a study on Italian Mobile Network Operators. Technological Forecasting and Social Change Vol. 90, Part A, 346-354.
- Ghezzi, A., Balocco, R., Rangone, A. (2015). A fuzzy framework assessing corporate resources management for the mobile content industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change Volume 96, July 2015, Pages 153–172, doi:10.1016/j.techfore.2015.01.004
- Ghezzi A., Cavallaro, A., Balocco R., Rangone A. (2015). On Business Models, Resources and Exogenous (Dis)Continuous Innovation: Evidences from the Mobile Applications Industry. International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 68, Nos. 1/2
- Ghezzi A. (2014). The dark side of the Business Model. The risks of strategizing through business models alone. Strategic Direction, Vol. 30, Issue 6, 1-4
- Ghezzi A. (2013). Revisiting Business Strategy Under Discontinuity. Management Decision, Vol. 51, Issue 7, pp. 1326-1358.
- Ghezzi A., Balocco R., Rangone A. (2013). Technology diffusion theory revisited: a Regulation, Environment, Strategy, Technology model for technology activation analysis of Mobile ICT. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, Vol. 25, Issue 10, pp. 1223-1249.
- Ghezzi A., Georgadis M., Reichl P., Di-Cairano Gilfedder C., Mangiaracina R., Le-Sauze N. (2013). Generating Innovative Business Models for the Future Internet. Info, Vol. 15, Issue 4, pp. 43-68