Our research aims to understand how digital innovation is transforming public administrations. Our research endeavours analyse the evolution of the markets and of the application scenarios, mainly focusing on the Italian context, and to depict how digital technologies can used as a driver for innovation in public settings. The research activities are conducted within 4 Observatories: eGovernment, Cloud in Public Administrations, Digital Agenda and Digital Innovation in Healthcare.
eGovernment and Digital Transformation of Public Administrations
Principal Investigators: Mariano Corso, Alessandro Perego, Giuliano Noci, Stefano Mainetti, Luca Gastaldi, Michele Benedetti, Alessandro Piva, Chiara Sgarbossa
Researcher team: Niccolò Ballerio, Deborah De Cesare, Luca Dozio, Giulia Maragno, Giulia Marchio, Marina Natalucci, Francesco Olivanti, Marco Paparella, Simona Solvi, Irene Vanini
Funders: AlmavivA, Artexe, Boston Scientific, Dell EMC, Deloitte, EasyGov, Indra Minsait, Intel, IntersSystems, Intesa SanPaolo, Irideos, Jaggaer, Leonardo, Lutech, MasterCard, Philips, PKE, Wolters Kluwer, Reply, Sas, Posteitaliane, Rai, Sia, Sisal
Duration: 2012 – onwards
KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Our expertise is the following fields:
- Diffusion of digital innovation in public settings – with a peculiar emphasis on healthcare
- Definition of digitalization strategies and roadmaps at national and local levels
- Management and governance of digital innovation in public settings
- Utilisation of European funds to support the digitization of public entities
- Public procurement of digital solutions with an emphasis on innovative forms of procurement
- Digitization of PA processes and services and usage by citizens
- Digital skills of citizens and public employees
- Public platforms to accelerate the implementation of the Digital Agenda
- Diffusion of cloud computing and rationalisation of data centres in public settings
- Adoption of digital technologies by physicians
Different methodologies are used by our research teams. The main ones are case studies, surveys, quantitative assessment models to evaluate the benefits stemming from digital innovations and analysis of big data provided by public entities. Interactive workshops with both the demand and the supply side of the public sector are organised, in order to share data and experiences useful to feed and tune the analyses developed by the research team.
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
The results of the research have contributed to develop several international publications and are considered the most authoritative source of data in Italy. The findings produced by the research team have been used as the basis to define eGovernment strategies at national (e.g., National Agency for Digitalisation, AgID), regional (e.g., Piedmont Region) and local (e.g., Rome Milan Municipality) levels. As an example, the Government Commissioner for the Digital Agenda cited the results of our research in the final report of the team he managed at the Italian Presidency of the Council of Ministers.
In 2012 the research approach of the Digital Innovation in Healthcare Observatory received from the University Industry Innovation Network (UIIN, www.uiin.org) the “University-Industry Innovation Award”, witch rewards contributions made to and through cooperation between academia and business.
The group have transferred the research results to a broad and diverse audience through workshops and public conferences. Since 2008, the group organized annual conferences (one event per each Observatory per year with more than 400 participants, mostly practitioners) to present the results of the research.
Papers in International Peer-reviewed Journals
- Tangi L., Benedetti M., Gastaldi L., Noci G., Russo C. (2021) Mandatory Provisioning of Digital Public Services as a Feasible Service Delivery Strategy: Evidence from Italian Local Governments, Government Information Quarterly, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 1–11, ISSN: 0740-624X, DOI: 10.1016/j.giq.2020.101543, http://bit.ly/GIQ_2021
- De Benedictis A., Lettieri, E., Masella C., Gastaldi L., Macchini G., Santu C., Tartaglini D. (2018) WhatsApp in Hospital? An Empirical Investigation of Industrial and Organisational Determinants to Use, PLOS ONE, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. e0209873, ISSN: 1932-6203X, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0209873, http://bit.ly/PLOS_2019.
- Gastaldi L., Pistorio A., Appio F.P., Corso M. (2018) Managing the Exploration-Exploitation Paradox in Healthcare: Three Complementary Paths to Leverage on Digital Transformation, Business Process Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1200-1234, ISSN: X, DOI: 10.1108/BPMJ-04-2017-0092, http://bit.ly/BPMJ_2018.
- Gastaldi L., Pietrosi A., Lessanibahri S., Paparella M., Scaccianoce A., Provenzale G., Corso M., Gridelli B. (2018) Measuring the Maturity of Business Intelligence in Healthcare: Supporting the Development of a Roadmap Toward Precision Medicine within ISMETT Hospital, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 128, No. 1, pp. 84–103, ISSN: 0040-1625, DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2017.10.023, http://j.mp/TFSC_ISMETT_2017.
- Gastaldi L., Mangiaracina R., Miragliotta G., Tumino A., Perego A. (2015) Measuring the Benefits of Tracking Medical Treatment through RFId, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, Vol. 64, No. 2, pp. 175-193, ISSN: 1741-0401, DOI: 10.1108/IJPPM-10-2013-0171, http://j.mp/RFId_IJPPM_2015.
- Gastaldi L., Lettieri E., Corso M., Masella C. (2012) Performance Improvement in Hospitals: Leveraging on Knowledge Asset Dynamics through the Introduction of an Electronic Medical Record, Measuring Business Excellence, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 14–30, ISSN: 1368–3047, DOI: 10.1108/13683041211276410, http://j.mp/EMR_MBE_2012.
- Gastaldi L., Corso M. (2012) Smart Healthcare Digitalization: Using ICT to Effectively Balance Exploration and Exploitation Within Hospitals, International Journal of Engineering Business Management, Vol. 4, Special Issue on Digital and Mobile Economy, pp. 1–13, ISSN: 1847–9790, DOI: 10.5772/51643, http://j.mp/DigitalH_IJEBM.
Contributions to International Books
- Weinhold I., Gastaldi L., Häckl D. (2015) Telemonitoring: Criteria for a Sustainable Implementation, in: Gurtner S., Soyez K. (Eds.) Challenges and Opportunities in Health Care Management, Cham (Germany): Springer, pp. 307–318, ISBN: 978-3-319-12177-2, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-12178-9_24, http://j.mp/HCM_Springer_2015_2.
- Weinhold I., Gastaldi L. (2015) From Shared Decision-making to Patient Engagement in Health Care Processes: The Role of Digital Technologies, in: Gurtner S., Soyez K. (Eds.) Challenges and Opportunities in Health Care Management, Cham (Germany): Springer, pp. 185–196, ISBN: 978-3-319-12177-2, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-12178-9_15, http://j.mp/HCM_Springer_2015_1.
- Gastaldi L., Corso M. (2013) Academics as Effective Orchestrators of Interorganizational Change and Development: The Experience of Italian Observatories, in: Pasmore W., Woodman R., Shani A.B. (Rami), Noumair D.A. (Eds.) Research in Organizational Change and Development (Vol. 21), Bingley (United Kingdom): Emerald, pp. 59–119, ISBN: 978-1-78190-890-7, DOI: 10.1108/S0897-3016(2013)0000021006, http://j.mp/ROCD_2013.
- Locatelli P., Restifo N., Gastaldi L., Corso M. (2012) Health Care Information Systems: Architectural Models and Governance, in: Kalloniatis C. (Ed.) Innovative Information Systems Modelling and Techniques, 71: InTech, pp. 71–96, ISBN: 978-953-51-0644-9, http://j.mp/HCIS_InTech.
- Locatelli P., Restifo N., Gastaldi L., Sini E., Torresani M. (2010) The Evolution of Hospital Information Systems and the Role of Electronic Patient Records: From the Italian Scenario to a Real Case, in: Safran C. Reti S., Marin H.F. (Eds), MEDINFO 2010 – Proceedings of the 13th World Congress on Medical Informatics (Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 160), Amsterdam (Netherlands): IOS Press, pp. 247–251, ISBN 978-1-60750-587-7, DOI: 10.3233/978-1-60750-588-4-247, http://j.mp/EPR_MedInfo.
- Corso M., Piva A. (2018) “An Hybrid Cloud model for Public Administration in the light of the three-year plan”, Research Report 2018, Cloud in Public Administrations Observatory
- Corso M., Mainetti S., Piva A. (2015) “Cloud in Public Administration: ready to take off?”, Research Report 2015, Cloud in Public Administration Observatory
- Academic: Aalborg University, KTH, University of Warwick, USI, SUSPI
- Corporate: Baker McKenzie, Cefriel, Digital360, Pandora, Porzio and Partners, Telemat, Studio Legale Leone
- Other: ABILab, ACT, AgID, AIIP, AIME, AISDET, AISIS, ANAC, ANCI, ARIS, ASSD, Anorc, AssinterItalia, Cisis, Confindustria Commissione Europea – JRC, DG-CONNECT, Digitale, Consip, Digital SIT, Dipartimento per la Trasformazione Digitale, FADOI, Federfarma, Federsanità. FIASO, FIMMG, FISM, HiMSS, Ministero per la PA, Ministero della Salute, Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri, Team per la Trasformazione Digitale, UnionCamere, UPI