Public procurement is evolving dynamically internationally as governments recognise the power of targeting government spending to deliver broader strategic and policy objectives.
About the project
Researcher team: Christine Harland, Stefano Ronchi, Yasmine Sabri
Funders: US National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP), Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS), Dutch Procurement Association (NEVI)
Duration: 2013 – date
KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Public procurement is evolving dynamically internationally as governments recognise the power of targeting government spending to deliver broader strategic and policy objectives. Commencing in 2003 the IRSPP network has grown and tackled the following key research questions in 8 phases of research to date:
- What is known about public procurement internationally and what are the major issues facing this field?
- What are similarities and differences across public procurement in health, defence, education and local government internationally?
- How might capacity and capability in public procurement be built internationally?
- In the wake of the financial crisis, what is the role of public procurement in designing and delivering economic stimulus packages internationally?
- How might public procurement be a policy instrument to improve development of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) internationally?
- How might public procurement be a policy instrument to deliver community benefits internationally?
- How do public procurement organisations collaborate horizontally to perform more efficient and effective public procurement internationally?
- What is the role of public procurement in the commercialisation (scaling up) of innovation in public sectors internationally?
We combine qualitative and quantitative research methods in co-production of research with senior public procurement practitioners
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
- Knight, L.A., Harland, C.M., Telgen, J., Callender, G., Thai, K.V. and McKen, K.E. (Eds) (2007) Public Procurement: International Cases and Commentary. Routledge: London ISBN 978-0-415-39405-5, reviewed by Medina T., (2008), Public Procurement Law Review, 17, 3, 155-156
- Markus Amann, Jens K. Roehrich, Michael Eßig, Christine Harland, (2014) “Driving sustainable supply chain management in the public sector: The importance of public procurement in the European Union”, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 19,3, 351 – 366
- Walker H., Schotanus F., Bakker E. and Harland C. (2013) Collaborative procurement: a relational view of buyer-buyer relationships, Public Administration Review, 73,4,588-598, recipient of the Louis Brownlow Award for the Best Article written by or with a practitioner, awarded at the annual meeting of the American Society March 14-18 2014
- Walker, H. Harland, C., Knight, L., Uden, C. & Forrest, S. (2008) Reflections on longitudinal action research with the English National Health Service, Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 14, 2, 136-145
- Walker, H., & Harland, C. (2008) E-procurement in the United Nations: issues, influences and impacts. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 28, 9, 831-857
- Bakker, E., Walker, H., Schotanus, F. & Harland, C. (2008) Choosing an Organizational Form: The Case of Collaborative Procurement Initiatives. International Journal of Procurement Management, 1, 3, 297-317
- Zheng, J., Bakker, E., Knight, L., Gilhespy, H., Harland, C. and Walker, H. (2006) A strategic case for e-adoption in healthcare supply chains. International Journal of Information Management, 26, 4, 290-301
- Caldwell, N.D., Walker, H.L., Harland, C.M., Knight, L.A. and Zheng, J. (2005) Promoting Competitive Markets: the role of public procurement. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 11, 5-6, 242-251
- Harland, C., Knight, L., Lamming, R. and Walker, H. (2005) Outsourcing: Assessing the risks and benefits for organisations, sectors and nations. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 25, 9, 831-850
- Knight, L. and Harland, C. (2005) Managing Supply Networks: Organizational roles in network management. European Management Journal, 23, 3, 281-292
- Knight L, Harland C, Walker H, Sutton R (2005) Competence Requirements for Managing Supply in Interorganisational Networks, Journal of Public Procurement, 5, 2, 210-234
- Harland C.M., Hendy C., Touboulic A and Wang Y (2017) Supply network orchestration of social capital in healthcare, IPSERA Conference Proceedings, NEVI Zorg Best Healthcare Paper Award
- Patrucco A, Harland C, Lynch J, Telgen J, Tatrai T (2018) Collaborative public procurement: an initial conceptual framework, in Thai K., Salia P. and Mwakibinga F. eds. (2018), Advancing public procurement: theories and practices ISBN 978-0-9668864-8-1
- Harland, C., Lynch, J., Telgen, J., Callender, G., Tatrai T., and Patrucco, A. (2018) May 2018, in International Research Study of Public Procurement in Manunza, E., and Schotanus, F. Eds. The Art of Public Procurement, liber amicorum Jan Telgen. ISBN: 978-90-365-4561-7 (Chapter 2), p. 29-45
- Lynch J, Harland C and Walker H (2017) A Spotlight on International Public Procurement for Leveraging Community Benefits, in Lindgreen A, Kitchener M, Brewer J and Koenig-Lewis N eds. (2017) Public Value, a research anthology, Taylor and Francis EAN: 9781138059665
- Schneller E., Harland C.M., Walker H. and Forrest S (2013) Systems of Exchange: Cooperative Purchasinag in the UK and US health sectors In: Harland, C.M, Nassimbeni, G and Schneller E (eds) (2013), Sage Handbook of Strategic Supply Management, UK, Sage Publications
- Harland C.M., Telgen J. and Callender G (2013) International Research Study of Public Procurement, In: Harland, C.M, Nassimbeni, G and Schneller E (eds) (2013), Sage Handbook of Strategic Supply Management, UK, Sage Publications
- Bakker E., Walker H. and Harland C.M. (2007) Organising for collaborative procurement: an initial conceptual framework. In Thai K. amd Piga G. (eds), Advancing Public Procurement Practice, Innovation and Knowledge-Sharing, PrAcademics Press
- Patrucco A.S., Luzzini D., Ronchi S., 2016, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of Public Procurement Performance Management Systems in Local Governments”, Local Government Studies, 42(5), 739-761.
- Patrucco A.S., Luzzini D., Ronchi S., Essig M., Amann M., Glas A.H., 2017, “Designing a public procurement strategy: Lessons from local governments”, Public Money & Management, 37(4), 269- 276.
- Patrucco A.S., Luzzini D., Ronchi S., 2017, “Research perspectives on public procurement: content analysis of 14 years of publications in the Journal of Public Procurement”, Journal of Public Procurement, 17(2), 229-269.
University of Twente, Netherlands; University of Curtin, Australia; Corvinus University, Hungary; Penn State University, USA; Cardiff Business School, UK; Aston Business School, UK; NIGP USA, CIPS UK, plus senior practitioners from public procurement organisations from 55 countries