The research stream investigates innovative ways for maintaining and managing complex engineering assets to maximise the value realised along their lifecycle. We aim to develop frameworks, methodologies, and tools in order to support companies in maximizing performance while minimising costs and risks when managing manufacturing systems and assets. The role of new technologies is at the centre of the research stream, as an enabler for Smart Asset Management and Maintenance.
Smart and Value-based Management of Industrial Assets and Maintenance
About the project
KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Maintenance Management and Asset Management are critical fields of managerial and technical importance in the industrial world. Current challenges and opportunities such as globalization, aging of assets, emerging of new technologies …, are bringing the attention towards the need of realising value from assets along their lifecycle. Therefore, the research stream develops frameworks, methodologies, and tools in order to support companies in maximizing performance while minimising costs and risks when managing manufacturing systems and assets. New organizational concepts and technologies are investigated having a particular concern on the following topics.
- Strategic Value-based Asset Management and Maintenance, dealing with strategic issues associated with the design, implementation and review of asset management systems. This includes methodologies for value-based asset management approach implementation, strategic decision-making supporting tools such as Total Cost of Ownership, decision-making support for end of life management, engineering of maintenance services within the asset lifecycle.
- Maintenance Management and Engineering of Complex Systems, examining the issue of maintenance to enable effective asset lifecycle management. This includes Maintenance engineering methodologies and tools, models to support Spare parts management, Reliability, Availability and Maintainability analysis of complex systems, models for Joint planning of maintenance and production, Condition Based / Predictive Maintenance. Within the scope of this topic, the Technologies and Services for Maintenance Observatory (TeSeM) aims to monitor the state of industrial maintenance practices.
- Intelligent Asset Data Management, dealing with the management and use of asset information. This includes data models to drive asset management processes, and techniques to exploit emerging trends such as Internet of Things, Big Data and Predictive Analytics to improve asset value.
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
- Irene Roda, Marco Macchi, Saverio Albanese. Building a Total Cost of Ownership model to support manufacturing asset lifecycle management. Production Planning and Control, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/09537287.2019.1625079, under press
- Irene Roda, Marco Macchi. Factory-level performance evaluation of buffered multi-state production systems. Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 2019, vol. 50, 226-235, Elsevier Ltd., ISSN: 0278-6125, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmsy.2018.12.008.
- Irene Roda, Marco Macchi. A framework to embed Asset Management in production companies Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, vol. 232, issue 4, August 2018, 368-378, SAGE Publications Ltd, USA, ISSN: 1748-006X, DOI: 10.1177/1748006X17753501.
- Chekurov, S., Metsä-Kortelainen, S., Salmi, M., Roda, I., & Jussila, A., The perceived value of additively manufactured digital spare parts in industry: An empirical investigation, International Journal of Production Economics, 205, 2018, 87-97. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2018.09.008
- Francisco J. Tapia-Ubeda, Pablo A. Miranda, Marco Macchi. A Generalized Benders Decomposition based algorithm for an inventory location problem with stochastic inventory capacity constraints. European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 267, issue 3, 806-817, 2018, Elsevier B.V., The Netherlands, ISSN: 0377-2217, DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2017.12.017.
– Antonio J. Guillén, Adolfo Crespo, Marco Macchi, Juan Gómez. On the role of Prognostics and Health Management in advanced maintenance systems. Production Planning & Control: The Management of Operations, vol. 27, no. 12, 991-1004, 2016, Taylor & Francis, UK, ISSN: 0953–7287, (online) DOI:10.1080/09537287.2016.1171920.
– Marco Macchi, Klodian Farruku, Maria Holgado, Elisa Negri, Daniele Panarese. Economic and environmental impact assessment through system dynamics of technology-enhanced maintenance services. International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Volume 23, No. 1, 2016, 36 – 56, Inderscience Publishers, ISSN: 1748-5037, DOI:10.1504/IJISE.2016.075806.
– Cristian Colace, Luca Fumagalli, Simone Pala, Marco Macchi, Nelson R. Matarazzo, Maurizio Rondi. Implementation of a condition monitoring system on an electric arc furnace through a risk-based methodology. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, Volume 229, Issue 4, August 2015, 327-342, SAGE Publications Ltd, USA, ISSN: 1748-006X, DOI: 10.1177/1748006X15576441.
– Irene Roda, Marco Macchi, Luca Fumagalli, Pablo Viveros. A review of multi-criteria classification of spare parts – From literature analysis to industrial evidences. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Volume 25, Issue 4, April 2014, 528-549, Emerald Group Publishing Ltd, UK, ISSN: 1741-038X, DOI: 10.1108/JMTM-04-2013-0038.
– Marco Macchi, Adolfo Crespo Márquez, Maria Holgado, Luca Fumagalli, Luis Barberá Martínez. Value-driven engineering of E-maintenance platforms. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Volume 25, Issue 4, April 2014, 568-598, Emerald Group Publishing Ltd, UK, ISSN: 1741-038X, DOI: 10.1108/JMTM-04-2013-0039.
AIA, Ansaldo Energia, Ferrero, MBDA Italia, Siemens, Smart Manufacturing 2020, SUSTAIN-OWNER – H2020-MSCA-RISE-2014 (Sustainable Design And Management Of Industrial Assets Through Total Value And Cost Of Ownership), SUSTAINVALUE (Sustainable Value Creation In Manufacturing Networks)
Ansaldo Energia, CGS, Ferrero, MBDA Italia, Siemens, Tenaris Dalmine, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Valparaiso, Universidad de Sevilla, Università degli Studi di Bergamo, University of Cambridge, University of Cincinnati, MEGMI – Executive Gestione degli Asset Industriali e della Manutenzione