Leveraging on a previous experience (‘E-merging’ project), the project goal is an open source web-based software application to support micro and small manufacturing companies in their risk assessment and management processes. It integrates all the tasks and an organizational model in a lean way; thus, every responsible for OSH is helped when developing consistent mitigation and improvement plans. The application will leverage on user profiling, so that targeted information will be shared.
Smart solution for OHS assessment and management in small companies
About the project
Principal Investigators: Guido Micheli
Researcher team: Guido Sala
Duration: 2 years
Partners: INAIL –DIMEILA, Università del Salento (UNISALENTO)
KEY RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The introduction – in Italy – of a set of simplified standard procedures (“procedure standardizzate”) to manage the risk assessment and management processes in micro and small companies was originally intended to bring a revolution within these companies. In fact, they were expected to enable the people responsible for OSH (Occupational Health and Safety) to actively manage their companies, instead of simply relying on professionals’ expertise, because of the complexity of the legislative/bureaucratic issues. As a matter of fact, a few companies are actually even aware of the existence of these “procedure standardizzate”. Such companies rather need a “tool”, than a set of procedures. Which is the rational for companies to look for software applications to help them in the management of OSH; unfortunately, the existing software applications are rather static (they have a significant inertia in capturing events and enabling organizations to make well-informed decisions), and only partially support organizations in setting up a sound organizational model (that is, consistent with OSH). Thus, leveraging on a previous experience (‘E-merging’ project), the project goal is an open source web-based software application to support micro and small manufacturing companies in their risk assessment and management processes. In particular, it integrates all the tasks and an organizational model in a lean and user-friendly way, so that every responsible for occupational health and safety in such companies is helped when developing consistent and effective mitigation and improvement plans, which is crucial for a “manufacturing company of the future”. The application will also leverage on user profiling, so that targeted information and alerts will be shared.
OUTPUTS & IMPACTS
- Micheli G.J.L., Gnoni M.G, De Merich D., Sala G., Rosso A., Tornese F., Piga G., Malorgio B., “Barriers, Drivers and Impact of a Simplified Occupational Safety and Health Management System in Micro and Small Enterprises”, Advances in Safety Management and Human Factors. AHFE 2018. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol. 791, 2019, pp 81-90, Springer International Publishing AG; AHFE 2018 Conference, Orlando, Florida. ISBN: 9783319945880. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-94589-7_8.
- Gnoni M.G, De Merich D., Malorgio B., Micheli G.J.L., Piga G., Rosso A., Sala G., Tornese F., “A new model proposal for occupational health and safety management in small and medium enterprises”, Proceedings of the XXIII Summer School “Francesco Turco” – Industrial Systems Engineering, Palermo, Italy, 2018.
- Cagno E., Micheli G.J.L., Perotti S., “Identification of OHS-related factors and interactions among those and OHS performance”, Safety Science, Elsevier BV, Vol.49 No.2, pp 216-225, 2011. ISSN: 0925-7535. DOI: 10.1016/j.ssci.2010.08.002.
- Cagno E., Micheli G.J.L., “Identification of OHS-related factors and interactions among those and OHS-performance”, 4th International Conference – Prevention of Occupational Accident in a Changing Work Environment – WOS 2008, Crete, Greece, October 2008, pp 1-8, p 36 in the Book of Abstracts.
- Cagno E., Micheli G.J.L., Sormani M., “Identificazione, classificazione e legami causali dei fattori caratterizzanti la gestione della sicurezza nelle PMI”, Convegno Scientifico Nazionale “Sicurezza nei Sistemi Complessi”, Bari, Italy, October 2009, pp 1-10, pp 53-54 in the Book of Abstracts (Italian).
- Di Giulio A., Cagno E., Micheli G.J.L., Colombo I., Sala G., Ravasi P., Tonoli F., Scarpa E., Sabadini L., “E-Merging: Miglioramento della Sicurezza delle PMI attraverso la Condivisione della Conoscenza e la Facilitazione della Gestione”, Convegno Scientifico Nazionale “Sicurezza nei Sistemi Complessi”, Bari, Italy, October 2009, pp 1-12, pp 54-56 in the Book of Abstracts (Italian).